OWHC YOUNG PROFESSIONALS FORUM
“Heritage & Tourism”, 1–6 June 2019
Call for Participation
The Organization of World Heritage Cities (OWHC) and the City of Krakow are organising the Young Professionals Forum under the theme “Heritage & Tourism”, as part of the 15th World Congress of the OWHC. On behalf of the organizers the Forum will be realized by the International Cultural Centre. The event is dedicated to young professionals in heritage management from the member cities of the OWHC. The Forum will focus on the relations between the needs of heritage preservation and growing number of threats provoked by the global tourism. Visits to the World Heritage Sites such as the Historic Centre of Krakow as well as the neighbouring Wieliczka Salt Mine and Auschwitz Birkenau German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camp (1940-1945) will enable the participants to reflect upon the complexity of preserving heritage in a constantly evolving world.
Dates: 1–6 June 2019, a parallel event of the 15th World Congress of the Organization of World Heritage Cities
Venue: Krakow, Poland + field trips to Wieliczka and Oświęcim
Working language: English
OWHC Young Professionals Forum, to be held from 1 to 6 June 2019, will provide an intensive training for young professionals dedicated to impact of tourism on heritage preservation and management. It will also give a space for a dialogue between Forum participants and the representatives of the OWHC member cities presenting innovative actions taken by the cities’ authorities in cooperation with local communities in order to preserve the World Heritage Sites. The Forum will focus on different impacts that tourism may have on heritage:
- effects of boosting economies of popular tourist destinations,
- strengthening the legal frameworks of heritage protection,
- involving global community in conservation actions,
- transformations of sites in line with tourism demands,
- “Disneylandization” of heritage.
- Programme of the Forum will comprise:
- visits to selected World Heritage Sites: Historic Centre of Krakow, Wieliczka Salt Mine, Auschwitz Birkenau German Nazi Concentration and Extermination Camp (1940-1945),
- meetings with heritage experts,
- workshops and discussions on different aspects of the World Heritage Sites,
- participants’ presentations,
- drawing up the Declaration of the Forum for presentation during the Closing Ceremony of the 15th World Congress of the OWHC.
The City of Krakow and the International Cultural Centre in Krakow are pleased to invite 20 young people interested in issues related to World Heritage who are:
- coming from OWHC member cities,
- aged between 20 and 35,
- fluent in English (please note that no interpretation will be provided; English will be the only working language of the Forum),
- graduates from / involved in heritage-related fields such as: architecture, urban planning, constructional engineering, archaeology, sociology, cultural heritage, anthropology, ethnology, ethnography, economy, history, art history, communication, law, tourism, natural and cultural heritage, geography, international relations,
- researchers, activists, young professionals in NGOs, associations, cultural and natural heritage organisations, museums, heritage sites,
- experienced in the field of heritage, in particular in the area of heritage conservation and restoration,
- motivated, committed to bring in their own expertise, active individuals interested in implementing the outcomes of the Forum in their respective countries.
The group of 20 will comprise 5 participants from Poland and 15 from the other countries.
The organisers guarantee full board meal plan (three, European-cuisine meals per day) at the respective hotels, restaurants or sites, as specified in the programme. Special dietary requests will be taken into account. Please, kindly inform the organising team of the Young Professionals Forum if you have any dietary restrictions or allergies before your arrival.